28 June, 2018

Eight Days Later...

The one thing one must keep in mind when painting plaster is how thirsty it is. Even with a couple layers of paint (purple and white that I know of) the walls in the main bathroom are/were very very thirsty.

Another thing to keep in mind is that red paint is not very user friendly and requires tons of working during the drying process in order to keep it even/streak free/ and blended.

Those two facts combined meant that the bathroom took two gallons of "one coat" paint/primer to accomplish perfection. I still have to finish my corners and I'm trying so hard to ignore the stubborn lighthouse border around the top... It wouldn't come off for love nor money and as such it has been decided that it will be covered with a rather elegant crown moulding... In gold... And stenciled with the Kabuki and the Onyx for a rather divine raised appearance unless I choose to do raised stenciling anyway... Which I just may because the good Lord knows that I'm rather extra like that.

Ignoring the bright blue ladder, the walls are just about complete. Crown moulding will cover the impossible to remove wallpaper border.


However, what I have noticed, is that even with having thirsty walls the black paint for the ceiling has gone on far nicer and will be done in two coats. Coat one is currently drying and from there the chandelier shall be hung with care and of course the crown mouldings will be painted and installed in due time.

The stripping and re-staining of the wood work is underway as well... I have words for the people who painted it. They aren't friendly. I'll never fully understand what the hell people are thinking when they decide to paint over stunning historical wood work. It's just... Unnatural.

In other news...

One of the bedrooms is painted... The ceiling will require painting as well and will be happening in short order, but for right now I'm celebrating the covering of walls that were meant to be white but became the hue of dehydrated urine thanks to excessive smoking and exposure to nicotine.

The top is the color we started with - the walls were white at one point before years of tobacco smoke destroyed the paint. You can see the blue we've covered it with as a comparison. 


We used a rather powerful paint in that room so we're hoping the tar stains don't bleed through. If they do? Pissed off me will be pissed off and I'll likely look into textured silk papers... Which just sounds divine and yet terrifying because it'd be going into the room of a 4 year old.

Might just be easier to repaint - he's requested clouds and a water mural to go with his pirate ship bed. Like I said... We're allowed to have fun with this. Not ever room needs to be dripping with historical integrity. I'll have my silk damask and flocked paper in other areas, don't you worry.

His woodwork, as well as the woodwork downstairs, will be re-sealed this coming weekend as well.

The main hall upstairs is fixing to be painted as well. It will be dark and dramatic and just... Well... Everything. The goal is for a metallic stenciled frieze to accompany unless we decide to hit it with crown moulding as well. Either way... Period sconces will like the hall for ambient lighting and the original floors will be restored and protected with period correct runners.

So yes... Summer is a very busy busy time here at the Greensfelder. Each project is handled with care and tons of research as we continue on as urban archaeologists making educated decisions and implementing them. Once the majority of this work is done, there's going to be tons of shopping to do. Lucky me... I know a local expert who loves this house and can find me pretty much anything and have a mother who's the Queen of Wallpaper... And she restored more of these old homes than I can shake a stick at.

Just wait until you see what we have in store for the entry way.

No comments:

Post a Comment